HELENA – A family made it out of their Canyon Ferry area home after it caught fire just before 11PM Monday night.

According to Tri Lakes Fire Chief Bobby Drake, firefighters were dispatched to the home on Waterdance Road.

Drake says the fire started in the chimney of a wood burning stove, spread to the attic and then the rest of the home.

Story continues below

Everyone inside was able to make it out safely, including the family’s pets.

The home is a total loss, but crews were able to protect the surrounding structures.

“It was a big log home and it got in the attic, and there just wasn’t anything we could do to save it so we saved the structures around it”, said Drake.

Chief Drake said the family heard the fire spreading and evacuated.

“A wood stove that they heat with, they heard a roar of the chimney fire inside. The fire was already out through the roof when we got here,” said Drake.

Drake says one of the homeowners suffered smoke inhalation trying to save items of value from the fire.

“One of our fireman is a neighbor and he came down and knocked on the door, because they didn’t realize the fire was already out through the roof,” said Drake.

Crews fought the fire all night, and remained on scene well into Tuesday morning.

Chief Drake said wood stoves and chimneys need to be checked regularly.

“Wood stoves, and chimneys have to be cleaned on a regular basis and depending on the wood that you are burning its got to be more often,” said Drake.

East and West Valley fire departments along with Eastgate, and York all assisted Tri Lakes to fight the blaze.

LEAVE A REPLY