MISSOULA – Spring runoff and recent rainfall have prompted some road closures in the backcountry of Western Montana.
Lolo National Forest spokesman Boyd Hartwig says some roads are also closed because of soft roadbeds.
On the east zone of the Forest the following closures are in place:
Missoula Ranger District
- Gilbert Creek road #34; Closed at Intersection with Rock Creek road. Water across road.
Seeley Lake Ranger District
- Beaver Finley road #9974. Closed for washed out culvert and soft roadbed.
- Cottonwood Lakes Road #477. Closed at the Seeley trailhead for snowplowing and soft roadbed. This closure includes all roads behind 477, including Morrell Creek 4353.
- Dunham Creek road #4388 at the Intersection with Cottonwood lakes road. Closed for soft roadbed conditions and debris on road.
- Cottonwood Lakes road #477 at the Intersection with Dunham Creek road 4388 due to water across the road. Closed for soft roadbed and safety until the flooding subsides.
- Road 36019. Closed at the intersection with Road #4379. Indefinitely until a new structure can be installed.
Click here to get the latest information on road closures.
Hartwig adds that contacting local ranger district offices is also a good way to get current information on road closures.
- Missoula Ranger District, (406) 329-3814
- Superior Ranger District, (406) 822-4233
- Seeley Lake Ranger District, (406) 677-2233
- Ninemile Ranger District, (406) 626-5201
- Plains-Thompson Falls Ranger District (406) 826-3821
The Seeley Lake Ranger District has experienced an unusually high amount of snowfall this winter and many campgrounds remain inaccessible due to snow.