MISSOULA – County officials have briefed the media about the flooding that’s happening in the Orchard Homes area.
Approximately 60 homes were notified by the Sheriff’s Office on Tuesday afternoon to evacuate. The Missoula County Sheriff’s Office has established roadblocks in the Orchard Homes area and residents who are under an evacuation order will not be allowed back in past the roadblocks.
Authorities note that as conditions allow some homeowners may be allowed into isolated areas to perform additional preventive measures to protect their home.
Residents around the evacuation area are strongly advised to make emergency preparations to evacuate, as flood waters are expected to continue to rise.
A public meeting to discuss the flooding situation will be held at 6 p.m. on Wednesday at Hawthorne Elementary School. on 3rd Street in Missoula.
An evacuation order is now in effect for the following areas:
- Tower Street, north of 3rd Street
- Kehrwald Drive
- Channel Drive
- Nancy Lou Drive
- Keck Street and Stone Street – north of Flamingo Drive
- Schmidt Road
- Off Mullan Road
Residents affected are asked to check in at the information trailer set up in the Wheat Montana parking lot on the corner of 3rd and Reserve streets.
- Tower Street will be closed to all traffic
- Nancy Lou Drive will be closed to all traffic
- Stone Street north of Flamingo Drive will be closed to all traffic
- Schmidt Road will be closed to all traffic
- Thanks to generous donations and community support, the County has set up a sandbagging station and central resources hub at the Orchard Homes Country Life Club at 2537 3rd St. W.
- In Seeley Lake sandbags can be obtained at the Seeley Lake Volunteer Fire Department Resources are limited.
- Sandbagging operations will commence depending on availability of sand, sandbags and volunteers.
- Volunteers for sandbagging may register here. Volunteers will be contacted when sandbagging activities are needed and coordinated by community partners.
- American Red Cross Missoula: Christ the King Church, located at 1400 Gerald Ave. in Missoula.
- Seeley Lake: Mission Bible Fellowship at 3158 Highway 83 in Seeley.
- Residents seeking shelter should call 1-800-272-6668.
A flood information line, 258-INFO, has been established and is staffed Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Missoula Water will provide access to potable water. Interested parties should check in with front office at 1345 W. Broadway and bring clean containers.