NewsCrime and Courts


Belgrade man charged with DUI after crashing into yellow submarine

Posted at 3:07 PM, May 11, 2018
and last updated 2018-07-05 15:01:09-04

A Belgrade man is facing a number of charges including his 3rd DUI after he reportedly crashed a vehicle into a yellow submarine outside a local business.

Tanner D. Smith, 25, was charged with DUI 3rd offense, habitual offender of operating a motor vehicle, driving while suspended or revoked, no seatbelt, no insurance (3rd or subsequent), failure to notify of an accident and leaving the scene of an accident without permission in Gallatin County Justice Court Friday morning.

According to charging documents, a Montana Highway Patrol trooper responded to a report of a crash at 8:31 p.m. on Thursday, May 10 near the intersection of Jackrabbit Lane and Forkhorn Trail.

Witnesses said that two males had taken off from the scene, running eastbound on Forkhorn Trail. The witnesses tried to get the pair to remain on scene until help arrived.

The chief of the Big Sky Fire Department was nearby had followed the two to the driveway of a residence on Arrowhead Trail and detained the pair until law enforcement arrived.

Witnesses told the trooper that a vehicle appeared to be traveling southbound on Jackrabbit at a high rate of speed before attempting to make a left turn onto Forkhorn Trail.

The driver lost control of the vehicle, which then slid broadside into a ditch, causing it to crash onto the yellow submarine at Four Corners Auto. The submarine reportedly sustained damages.

Smith reportedly appeared confused and answered “I don’t know” or silence to every question the trooper asked. Court documents say Smith had a “thousand-yard” stare and appeared dazed. He also had an “overwhelming” odor of alcoholic beverages coming from him.

Smith refused a breath test and was unable to perform field sobriety tests. He has two prior DUI convictions, one on Sept. 19, 2017, and June 17, 2015. Smith also had 4 prior no insurance convictions within the last 5 years: 2014, two in 2015 and one in 2016.

Smith is being held on $10,000 bail.

Additional reporting by Ken Spencer and Carson Vickroy