UPDATE MISSOULA – University of Montana officials say a chemistry lab worker did everything right when they accidentally spilled a flammable chemical Tuesday morning.
University of Montana Vice President for Strategic Communications Cathy Cole tells MTN a lab worker spilled a very small amount of triethylamine in a lab on the third floor of the chemistry building. Cole says the chemical can cause respiratory distress. Cole says the worker immediately opened the vents in the lab, shut the door, and left the area immediately and called 911.
As an abundance of caution, the third floor of the chemistry building was evacuated. Cole says no one was injured.
Missoula city fire department, HAZMAT and University of Montana police responded to the spill at 10:46 a.m. All emergency units were cleared of the scene by 11:21 a.m.
-information from Melissa Rafferty included in this report
Crews were called out to a reported chemical spill on the University of Montana campus Tuesday morning.
An official with the Missoula City Fire Department says that a chemical spilled in a lab inside of the chemistry building.
A lab worker spilled a flammable chemical called triethylamine and the situation is considered to have been a minor incident.
Numerous emergency vehicles were called to the scene and crews donning hazardous material suits entered the building and contained the situation.
The area around the chemistry building was blocked off while emergency responders assessed the scene.
-information from Connor McCauley included in this report