GREAT FALLS – Although it is not even Halloween, one Great Falls organization is already preparing for the Christmas season.
The Great Falls Salvation Army has started accepting applications for its holiday assistance program.
“They can apply to get a food box for people who do not have children, but for families with children, they can apply to receive food and toys,” Captain Monica King, Salvation Army Corps Officer said.
King said they have helped the majority of families who have come to the organization for help.
Applicants must provide written proof of address, total household income, age of children, and a picture identification for all adults living in the home.
“Our income guidelines are pretty generous. If you qualify for the free or reduced lunch through the school system, then you will qualify for this program,” King said.
They rely on the community’s help to build the food boxes and gifts to families.
King said people can drop off food donations at any time and the Giving Tree Program will start right after Thanksgiving.
“My favorite part is when people come in and you can tell they’ve truly needed the help. Without the help of the Salvation Army and other organizations like ours, they just would not have a Christmas. To see the gratitude and joy that they express when they see that help, it really warms the heart and makes you feel good about what you do,” King said.
Applications can be filled out at the Salvation Army Family Services (527 9th Avenue South) on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays from 9-11 a.m.
Applications will be accepted until November 15th.
For more information, call 406-453-0391.
In Helena, requirements are below:
- 2018 Applications will be accepted
- Monday through Friday 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM ONLY
- November 1st through December 7th
- Doors will be locked at 2:45 PM to allow everyone to be cleared by 3:00 PM
- If you cannot make these times please call our office and be put on a waiting list. We will call all families for a last chance effort sometime the week of December 3rd.
- Families will be served based on the order they register.
- Eligibility Requirements:
- Active or Retired Military – Must show valid Military ID or DD214
- Currently Receiving State Assistance (TANIF, SNAP, Medicade, CHIP, ECT)
- Meet Income Eligibility – Must provide proof of Income if not on state assistance.
- Have Extenuating Circumstances- Will be reviewed by our case managers, does not guarantee services
- Please bring current verification as requested, photo id’s and social security card for all members of the household
Reporting by Margaret DeMarco for MTN News