Great Falls Pita Pit re-opens after crash caused closure for two months

Posted at 3:22 PM, Nov 14, 2018
and last updated 2018-11-14 18:30:45-05

GREAT FALLS – On September 16th at around 3 a.m., a driver in a pick-up truck crashed into The Pita Pit on 10th Avenue South.

The crash destroyed most of the shop, which prompted The Pita Pit to close for two months.

During those two months, employees were still being paid.

Employees came back into work on Monday, November 12th and started to prepare the store.

On Tuesday, they opened briefly and saw many of their regular customers stop in.

Although there was many downsides to the crash, owner Jim Talley is looking at the bright side of things.

Talley said, “It was a disaster, but there is good things to come out of it. Now, it’s a brand new store. Everything in here is new. The ceilings all had to be re-done, the walls, the floors, along with all the equipment, tables and chairs and stuff. So, that’s the positive side, we have a nice new store for people to enjoy.”

As of Wednesday, The Pita Pit will now be open their regular hours, which are 10 AM- 10 PM Monday through Saturday and 10 AM- 9 PM on Sundays.

Reporting by Kasey Herman for MTN News

(SEPTEMBER 18, 2018) Allen David Roberts is facing more than a dozen charges after he allegedly led police on a high-speed chase and crashed into the Pita Pit restaurant on Sunday.

Court documents state that just before 3 a.m. on Sunday, a police officer noticed a white Chevy Silverado pickup truck with a license plate that did not match the registration; the plate and the truck had been reported stolen.

Police had received information Roberts was driving a white Chevy Silverado, and had been identified by several officers committing crimes and driving away in the white pickup. The court documents state that Roberts was a suspect in numerous thefts throughout Montana involving firearms and vehicles. The white pickup had been reported stolen in Moccasin in central Montana.

The police officer began following the truck along 10th Avenue South and tried to initiate a traffic stop. The driver of the truck sped away, reaching speeds of more than 85 miles per hour and driving recklessly.

The court documents allege that the driver of the truck – later identified as Roberts – nearly caused several collisions as he tried to elude police. Eventually, the pickup collided with a Toyota Tacoma near the intersection of 10th Avenue South and 23rd Street. Court document say that, remarkably, the driver of the Toyota sustained only minor injuries.

The Silverado then smashed into the Pita Pit restaurant, causing substantial damage.

Two men then ran away from the scene; police quickly caught the passenger, who refused to provide any information to police. The man’s name has not yet been released.

Roberts escaped, but on Monday morning, a police officer saw a Jeep along the 700 block of 4th Alley South that had been reported stolen in Vaughn. The driver of the Jeep resembled Roberts, according to an affidavit, and he began to run away when he saw the police officer. The officer then stopped him at gunpoint and arrested him.

Roberts, 25 years old, is charged with six felony counts of criminal endangerment, and one felony count of theft (possession of stolen property).

He is also charged with the following misdemeanors: obstructing a peace officer; travel in wrong direction; reckless driving; failure to carry proof of insurance; fleeing a peace officers; operating a vehicle with improper registration; duty upon striking unattended vehicle; duty upon striking fixtures or other property upon highway; accidents involving another person.

Prosecutors requested that bond for Roberts be set at $75,000.