News

Actions

Billings Fire Department gives cold weather tips

Posted at 2:52 PM, Feb 19, 2019
and last updated 2019-02-19 17:52:52-05

BILLINGS – During the winter, there are many ways to keep your house warm.

After a fire last week, the Billings Fire Department sent out some reminders of safety tips during cold weather.

The department says space heaters are a leading cause of home heating fire deaths.

Deputy Fire Marshall Tyrone Morgan advises keeping space heaters at least three feet away from things that can catch on fire.

Upholstered furniture, clothing, mattresses or bedding.

He said it’s important to make sure heating systems are working properly to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.

Morgan also says you need to watch out for your pipes freezing during this time of year.

Morgan says more information is available on the U.S. Fire Administration website.