News

Actions

Family in need after losing home to fire in Sun Prairie

Posted at 2:33 PM, Mar 01, 2019
and last updated 2019-03-01 17:17:05-05

SUN PRAIRIE – A family is expressing their appreciation one week after a fire destroyed their home and left them with nothing.

On the night of February 20, Vaughn Fire Rescue responded to a structure fire at 1133 Harrison Street in Sun Prairie.

The crews determined the cause of the fire appeared to have started from an overheated propane forced air heater under the mobile home.

The Red Cross provided housing for the family of eight for the first few days.

Homeowner Greg Overturf said the community has also lent a helping hand.

“It’s really heartwarming. I know there are many people that I’m overlooking but I can’t thank enough of the people that have helped us out. Especially those first few days when we had no place to go,” Overturf said.

Overturf said they have received plenty of clothing donations at this time.

The family hopes to rebuild and is in need of furniture, sheets, and towels. There’s also a funding account set up at Prairie Mountain Bank for anyone who would like to donate.

The fire also sparked a mobile home west of the Overturfs. Two adults and three children made it out safely.

There were no injuries from either fire.

Family displaced after structure fire in Sun Prairie

Reporting by Elizabeth Transue for MTN News