News

Actions

72-year-old man dies in Great Falls house fire possibly caused by cigarette

Posted at 4:47 PM, Mar 04, 2019
and last updated 2019-03-04 20:06:16-05

GREAT FALLS – The 72-year-old man who was found dead after an early morning house fire Saturday has been identified.

The Cascade County Sheriff’s Office reported that Wayne Edward Jensen died in the fire at a home on the 1200 block of 2nd Avenue South around 2 a.m.

Great Falls Fire Rescue responded and found Jensen in the living room, according to the Sheriff’s Office.

The CCSO reported fire marshals said the fire started in the living room, possibly from a cigarette.

Jensen’s body will be transported to Missoula for an autopsy next week.

(March 2, 2019) Sgt. Eric Baumann, of the Great Falls Police Department, confirmed to MTN News Saturday that a 2 a.m. house fire in Great Falls left one person dead.

The fire broke out at 1220 2nd Avenue South, to which Great Falls Fire Rescue responded.

Neither the official cause of death nor the identity of the individual have yet been released. The incident is still under investigation.

Reporting by Margaret DeMarco for MTN News