NewsCrime and Courts


Billings radio show host released from jail after appearing in court on assault charge

Posted at 2:38 PM, Mar 18, 2019
and last updated 2019-03-18 18:56:32-04
Jason Harris / Yellowstone County Detention Center

BILLINGS – A well-known Billings radio host appeared in Municipal Court on Monday and pleaded not guilty to misdemeanor partner or family member assault, a first offense.

Jason Harris, known on the radio as Big J, was booked into jail on a misdemeanor count of PFMA.

Harris hosts a morning radio show on Hot 101.9 FM.

The Big J program’s Facebook page published this announcement:

“We are aware of the rumors floating around Facebook today. While we don’t have any details on what happened, we can confirm that it is Big J listed on the YCDF’s website. There will be no further comments at this time.”

According to court documents, at around 10 p.m. Saturday the Billings Police Department responded to a call about a disturbance in a vehicle in the area of Second Avenue North and Division Street.

The call made to the police said a male, identified as Jason Harris, and a woman whose name was not released were fighting each other in a car.

When officers arrived, Harris had bruising and swelling on his right cheek and eyebrow and the woman also had bruising and swelling on her right cheek and eyebrow.

The two have been in a long-term relationship, court records state.

According to officials, Harris and the woman both stated they were arguing at dinner and continued the argument while driving in Harris’ vehicle where they both said they were hitting and punching each other.

The woman told officers that she was “terrified” of Harris and that she thinks that he will kill her if he has the opportunity.

According to the court documents, based on the woman’s demeanor Harris was arrested when officers determined he was primary aggressor.

Yellowstone County jail records indicate Harris has been released from the facility. During his court appearance his bond was set at $500.

Harris is set to appear back in court on April 23 at 1 p.m.

Reporting by Zoe Zandora for MTN News