MISSOULA – The suspect in a series of shootings Friday that killed one man and injured three more people, including a Montana Highway Patrol trooper, made his initial appearance in Missoula County Justice Court Monday afternoon.
Johnathan Bertsch faces one count of deliberate homicide for the death of Shelley Hayes, as well as three counts of attempted deliberate homicide in connection with the shootings.
Bertsch’s bond was set at $2 million.
Montana Highway Patrol Trooper Wade Palmer continues to recover in a Utah hospital after being shot and critically wounded in Evaro Friday morning.
There was a substantial law enforcement presence in the Missoula courtroom just before Bertsch was set to appear.
- Wife of injured Montana Highway Patrol trooper thankful for support
- One victim dies in Missoula shooting; suspect charged with several felonies
- MHP “overwhelmed” by support for trooper shot near Missoula
- Trooper airlifted to Salt Lake City; Missoula area shootings under investigation
- Montana Highway Patrol trooper shot near Missoula in critical condition