DRUMMOND – A gas leak has been determined to be the cause of a house explosion on Thursday afternoon outside of Drummond.
At 12:55 p.m. Thursday the Granite County Sheriff’s Office dispatched Valley Fire to the report of an explosion on Airport Road.
Luckily, the homeowner wasn’t present at the time of the explosion and no one in the area was hurt.
Granite County Sheriff Scott Dunkerson believes that natural gas is the cause of the explosion and an inspector on the scene says he would agree with that cause and that the explosion was a high-order explosion.
A high-order explosion has a lot of energy behind it and the inspector on the scene believes that this is possible because of a high build-up of gas in the home.
This is not the homeowner’s permanent residence and he had not been in the building in weeks.
A lack of ventilation is believed to have contributed to a high-gas buildup that was triggered by an ignition source that is still being determined.
Reporting by Connor McCauley for MTN News