Dog owners who use Hyalite Reservoir to cool down their furry friends can breath easy.
Algae was reported in Hyalite Reservoir this week but the good news is that the City of Bozeman tests came back negative for harmful microcystin which means the water is safe to swim in.
In the past two weeks there have been three reports of harmful algae in the waters of Southwest Montana. While these are not confirmed yet, it is important that you examine the water very closely before either you or your pet hops in to cool off.
“When in doubt stay out," said Lori Christenson, the environmental health director at Gallatin City County health department. "So we shouldn’t go into the water that looks foamy or scummy, pea green, blue-green, or brownish red.”
If there have been reports of blue, green algae then there will be a sign that says so, If blue green algae has been confirmed by local governments you’ll see a sign posted. In either case if you see algae that look suspicious you can report it to the Montana department of health.
Make sure you're checking lakes, and areas of slow-moving water especially in warm and dry conditions that can enhance algae growth.
Symptoms of an algae infection in pets include vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and shortness of breath after a dip in the water.
If your pet starts to show any of those symptoms, it’s important that you get them to the vet as soon as possible.