HELENA — The Helena school board has announced a slate of candidates to become the district’s next superintendent.
Trustees held a special meeting Thursday afternoon, where they considered 29 applicants. After several hours of discussion, they selected five semifinalists:
· Kevin Aten, superintendent of the Bayfield School District, in Bayfield, Colorado
· Keith Brown, superintendent of Taylor Independent School District in Taylor, Texas
· Joseph Koch, deputy superintendent of the School District of Waukesha in Waukesha, Wisconsin
· James Wagner, superintendent of the Johnson County School District in Buffalo, Wyoming
· Rex Weltz, principal of Rossiter Elementary School and former superintendent of the Polson School District
"We are impressed with the quality of the candidates and truly thankful to everyone who made the effort to apply," said board chair Luke Muszkiewicz, in a statement.
Muszkiewicz said trustees will hold online interviews with the semifinalists, most likely the second week of February. He said the district will post the information once the schedule is finalized, and everyone will be welcome to watch.
Once the board chooses finalists, they will hold additional interviews.
Current superintendent Tyler Ream is stepping down in June, after three years in the position. The school board is working with the firm Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates to find his replacement.