A dog is fighting for its life after being poisoned over the weekend -- and the family now looking for answers.
Trevor and Courtney Ferguson of Florence took their dogs to Stevensville on Father’s Day and as always, they went up Dry Gulch Road and let their dogs run around.
It wasn’t until the following day that their prize bird dog, Sula, began vomiting, and couldn’t walk straight, eat or drink.
As a veterinarian, Trevor knew almost immediately the dog had been poisoned and says this wasn’t an isolated event.
In recent weeks, he’s seen other dogs come into the vet clinic with the same symptoms.
They believe someone in the area is using dog food as bait, at times even leaving the dog food at the end of driveways to lure the animals in.
"Even though you think your community is safe or your dogs are safe in your backyard or safe at that spot that you recreate all the time -- right now there’s something going on out there and it’s a good time to keep an eye on your pets," Courtney told MTN News.
The Fergusons are hopeful Sula will survive the poisoning, and they warn other dog owners to be cautious if you're out and about in the coming days.