CARBON MONOXIDE IS KNOWN AS THE SILENT KILLER, because without Carbon Monoxide detectors — Carbon monoxide is known as the silent killer, because without Carbon Monoxide (CO) detectors, it can be nearly impossible to know if you are in danger.
It is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas that is emitted by fuel-burning appliances, like gas water heaters, gas ranges or gas furnaces.
The risk comes when those appliances are not properly vented and the CO builds up in the home.
It can happen for a number of reasons, from vents blocked by snow or other debris, or running a generator indoors.
Recognizing CO poisoning can often be tricky.
The most common symptoms are headaches, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion.
There are several things one can do to prevent CO poisoning such as:
- Never run a generator or any gasoline-powered engine inside, even if you think it may be properly vented
- Have your gas and fuel-burning applicants serviced every year by a qualified technician
- Never leave a car or truck running in a garage
- Keep gas powered engines outdoors and at least 20 feet away from open window
- Never use a charcoal grill, lantern, or portable camping stove inside a home, tent or camper
- Last but not least, check or change batteries in your Co detector every 6 months
If you suspect CO poisoning call 911, or seek medical attention immediately.
Now, you're a little more Weather Wise.