The annual "What The Hay" was held on Sunday in central Montana.
"What The Hay" is the highlight of the Montana Bale Trail, and features displays of whimsical, cleverly decorated, and sculpted hay bales along a 22-mile route along highways 239 and 541, with the eastern end in Hobson, the western end at Windham, and Utica as the halfway point.
In addition to the actual hay bales, there were food vendors, arts and crafts, and a small-town fair.
People’s Choice Ballots were handed out at the contest entrances in Hobson and Windham, beginning at 8 a.m.
Here is the list of winners:
1. Yosemite-Hay Sam - Artist- Staci Auck
2. A Quiet “Hay” in Utica - Artist- Heather Hull and Oxen Yoke
3. Trump Twent”Hay” Twent”Hay” - Artists- Class of 2026 (6th grade class Hobson)
4. The Goon”Hays” - Artist- Elynn, Elicia and Staci Olsen and Mandy Dupree
5. Dumbo the Flying Haylephant - Artist- Judy Mikkelsen
6. Impossible Whopper - Artist- Nate Carr Family
(Rookie Award : Poll “Hay” Wog - Artist- Steph Carr)
Event organizers say that this might be the last year of the Montana Bale Trail, and they are looking for someone or another organization to take over. They posted on Facebook recently: "If another group wants to take it over, it could keep going. The school is not going to be in charge anymore. It's a hard time for teachers to be trying to put together an event of this magnitude."
For more information, call Audrey Olson at 406-374-2510, or click here to visit the website .
Here is video of a previous What The Hay: